Thanks to money raised by National Lottery players, the partnership now have a significant opportunity to conserve, protect and enhance Penwith’s ancient farming landscape and field systems, its archaeology and natural environment for future generations.
The Landscape Partnership is made up of a number of enthusiastic and experienced local people together with representatives from a number of organisations, such as the Cornwall Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Partnership, CASPN and Farm Cornwall to name but a few. It is chaired by Cllr Jim McKenna.
The funding will be available from January 2018 for five years. One of the first tasks will be to recruit several project officers who will work together as a team from a base in Penwith. Projects will include:
• Surveying and improving knowledge of the archaeology and ancient sites in Penwith
• Improving access to the landscape through footpaths, bridleways and cycle routes, as well as creating links to public transport
• Helping Parishes to survey and care for the heritage and wildlife within their areas
• Improving the landscape for wildlife by working with farmers and landowners to promote good soil, nutrient and habitat management
• Recording the value of Cornish hedges and “upskilling” volunteers to repair and rebuild hedges and reinstate gateposts
• Researching historic place-names to discover what they can tell us about the landscape and the history of the area
• Encouraging everyone to explore the landscape through the arts
• Helping farmers and landowners find economic uses for redundant farm buildings and also manage rough ground through controlled burns, scrub cutting and clearing by hand
• Supporting the growth of efficient, resilient family-farm businesses through setting up monitor farms and discussion groups
The Partnership will be actively seeking the involvement of local people, as well as visitors to Penwith, through a wide range of volunteering opportunities. Support and encouragement to learn new skills through training and practical experience will be offered.