In 1870 Thomas Hardy arrived as an architect at the Old Rectory at St. Juliot near Boscastle and started his romance with the Rector’s sister-in-law Emma. Many of the places Hardy mentions in his poetry can still be recognised 140 years later, including a long herbaceous border which leads to Hardy’s Seat, a place as peaceful today as when Thomas and Emma sat there over a hundred years ago.
The Old Rectory opens to the public in aid of the Trust on Sunday 13th May from 2.00pm to 5.00pm. Entrance is adults £5 with children under-16 free. Pasties, cream teas and coffee by Crantocks Bakery, Roddas, and Cornish Coffee will be available. There is limited disabled access. Dogs are allowed on leads.