The Trust has been given special access to the whole of this hidden treasure, including the recently refurbished Burncoose House and its immediate garden at Gwennap, Redruth, on Sunday 15th April from 11.00am to 4.00pm. There will guided walks of the garden and tours of the house.
Admission is £5 under 16s free. Pasties, cream teas, and beverages will be provided by Roddas, Crantock Bakery, and Cornish Coffee. Dogs are allowed on leads.
Burncoose House and Nurseries is the oldest part of the Caerhays Estate which is owned by the Williams family. The Williams family originally arrived in Cornwall in 1650 and settled at Burncoose in 1715. Successive generations were major players in the heydays of Cornish tin mining and for a period the world price of copper was set from the Burncoose office and the family employed 10,000 people within the Gwennap Parish alone.
Perched on a hilltop, Burncoose doesn't benefit from Cornwall's microclimates responsible for the flourishing valley gardens, yet it is still home to one of the most diverse ranges of plants in the region. Its sprawling woodland gardens and old flower garden are rich with the likes of camellias, azaleas and rhododendrons, as well as over 20 species of bamboo. The vast acreage is packed with prolific blooms all year round but in the spring there are drifts of snowdrops, primroses and wild violets, with daffodils and carpets of bluebells.