Butterfly Appeal 2014
We want to stop the decline of Cornwall's butterflies. You can help us achieve this. Over the next 12 months we want to put better measures in place on our nature reserves as well as work with farmers on their land to improve butterfly habitats. We need £20,000 to fund this work and have raised over £13,500 so far. Can you help us do everything we can to help butterflies and make a donation today?
Cornwall Wildlife Trust have been fighting hard for years to save rare and threatened species including marsh fritillary and silver-studded blue, but now some of our more common butterflies are also declining. We must stop this. Can you help us by making a donation today? Any amount, small or large, will make a difference.
What will we do with your donation? Over the next 12 months we will:
- Stop inappropriate development. Important butterfly sites are still being damaged and lost to opportunistic developments. We must stop this by influencing strategic development plans and fighting damaging planning applications. For large applications this can cost as much as £1,750.
- Control scrub on the nature reserves lof Helman Tor, Windmill Farm and Upton Towans. We must do this work this winter if butterflies are to survive and flourish. Work on these sites will cost £15,000.
- Work on new projects in partnership with Cornwall Butterfly Conservation.
- Survey farmland for butterfly habitats. Farmland covers 74% of Cornwall. We need to work together with farmers to protect and enhance habitats for butterflies and other polinators. It costs £250 to carry out a farm survey and give tailored follow up advice.
- Track changes in butterfly population size and extent. We have to know how Cornwall's butterfly populations are changing in order to focus our conservation efforts. The Trust hosts the Environmental Record Centre for Cornwall and the Isles of Scily (ERCCIS) where butterfly records are gathered from specialist recorders and the public. ERCCIS's work to manage and disseminate butterfly data has an annual cost of £3,000.
Our struggling butterflies face numerous threats; built development, intensification of farming and a lack of management of vital habitats. With your help Cornwall Wildlife Trust will tackle all of these issues.
"The extraordinary weather events of recent years, loss and fragmentattion of habitats and a lack of appropriate management on many sites means the future of our butterflies in Cornwall is far from certain. Work on our nature reserves and private farmland is essential to give us the best chance of reversing their decline" - John Gowenlock, Chairman of the Trust's Nature Reserves Committee.
Please help us today by making a donation, it will make a genuine difference to butterflies in Cornwall. Thank you!
Donate by text
You can donate up to £10 by text, just text the code BFAP14 followed by £2, £5 or £10 to 70070. This text donation service is managed by JustGiving so it's safe, secure and really quick, but if you'd like to donate more than £10 please see the other donation options.
*Donations received above the amount required will be used for nature reserves management, ERCCIS, planning and farm advisory work that will all benefit Cornwall's butterflies.
Printing costs for the leaflets of this appeal have been generously covered by Four Way.
For more information on our Butterfly appeal please contact Callum Deveney, Head of Nature Reserves via email or on (01872) 273939 ext 222.