Cornwall Wildlife Trust Community Speaker
This is an exciting time to join Cornwall Wildlife Trust’s People and Engagement Team (which includes marketing and fundraising). The team is developing a speaker network to help spread the word about the importance of Cornwall’s wildlife and wild places. Join us and help spread the word on the importance of protecting and growing Cornwall’s wildlife and wild places.
You will be part of a community of volunteers that closely work with the Cornwall Wildlife Trust and a core group who reach out to local groups to raise awareness of our work. Although this role will primarily be lone working and you will need to be self-sufficient, you will have plenty of opportunity to engage with both staff and other volunteers.
- Respond to speaker enquiries
- Deliver talks (in person and online) to a wide variety of audiences, including talks at schools and community groups
- Raise awareness of the work of CWT in your community, actively identify opportunities to present talks
- Act as recipient of donations from local groups (after talks) and send funds back to main CWT office.
- Update slides to fit audience as required
- Where an opportunity arises, deliver short activities with groups (such as leaf identification, building bug hotels) to bring the work of CWT to life.
Skills & Experience:
- Comfortable with public speaking to adult and youth groups
- Passionate about the work of Cornwall Wildlife Trust and a desire to build connections with local communities
- Ability to adapt presentation style and slides appropriate to audience
- Having own transport in Cornwall
- Good diary management
- Ability to work independently
- Moderate IT skills
- Good local connections
- Experience of public speaking
- Good telephone manner
- Organised and methodical
- Initial one-day introductory training and any ongoing training (quarterly)
- Minimum delivery of 1talk per month (45min talk + travel)
What you'll receive:
- Powerpoint presentation with notes
- As a community of volunteers, you will regularly receive training and updates about the work of CWT. This includes training on presentation delivery and updates from staff on our work.
- Support and guidance from Community Team
- CWT email address
- Cornwall Wildlife trust t-shirt or polo shirt, name badge, volunteer handbook and other materials required for role.
- Working with passionate experts within the industry
- Opportunities to meet up with other volunteers
- Supporting Cornwall’s wildlife and wild places
- 22p per mile for fuel
You get to volunteer for a fantastic charity; that really helps local wildlife, people and the environment. This will give you the opportunity to gain valuable experience working with the People and Engagement team. This is a chance to become part of a great team!
Closing Date for applications is Friday 26 November 2021
We are committed to ensuring transparent and non-discriminatory recruitment and employment. As a progressive charitable organisation, we champion equal opportunities and welcome applications from all sections of the community, regardless of any protected characteristic.